Brooks Family Notes
Click photo to
see full size. 
Right click to save.
Click 'Back'
to return here.
Written by Herbert Brooks
Born:   Aug. 20, 1831 in Anson County, N.C.
Died:   July 20, 1864 in the battle of Peachtree Creek, Atlanta, GA.
(Father-- Alexander Brooks, 1791—1853)
(Mother-—Caroline (Borgan) Brooks)
Married:  April 12, 1854
Wife:  Lucy Ellen Snuggs, 9/19/1837—10/16/1911
They moved to Smithville GA. in Lee County soon after their marriage, acquired some land and built a log cabin on it.

Military Record of Thomas Hampton Brooks

1.  March 1, 1862, enrolled at Sumter, Ga. into the Second Georgia Cavalry, Lawton’s Regiment by Capt. Thomas Jordan, under whom he received his initial training in Co. F.   His horse, owned by him was evaluated at $275.00, the riding equipment at $40.00. If these  were lost in battle, he would be reimbursed, and he would have to procure replacements.

2. Reported to Camp Stevens at Griffin, GA. and was shown on the muster-in roster May 7, 1862.

3.  Early July he was enrolled in the Second Georgia Cavalry in General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s command at Chattanooga, Col. Whorton’s Regiment.

4.  July 9, he was with General Forrest, who started his famous march to middle Tennessee to relieve the people there that were being oppressed by the Yankees.

5.  July 13, he was with General Forrest in the raid on the Murfreesboro Tenn. courthouse and a garrison of yankees commanded by W. W. Duffield. Following this was the surrender of the entire command of Brig. Gen. Thomas F. Crittenden. This resulted in the abandoning of Gen. Buell’s advance to Chattanooga from Nashville. The Second Georgia Cavalry took the courthouse and freed the prisoners there, all of whom were condemned to die at sunrise.

6.  After July 13 Gen. Forrest’s Command served as a constant harassment to Gen. Buell’s Army rear guard as they advanced from Woodbury to Murfreesboro, an act which saved Murfreesboro from being burned to the ground.  Bragg was now in full movement toward Kentucky. General Forrest’s cavalry was assigned to protect his left flank.

7.  Sept. 8, 1862, after reaching Glasglo, KY., Gen. Forrest was ordered to report to Gen. Polk. Forrest and his men had been in the field since July 6, marching on an average of 30 miles a day. They had lost 200 men. His men were fatigued, having been in the saddle incessantly for 60 days.

8.  Sept. 26 Bragg ordered Forrest to go to Murfreesboro and draw up a new organization to harass the Federal garrison at Nashville. He then turned his original command over to Co. Whorton. Thus, Thomas Hampton’s service under General Forrest ended here.

9.  Nov. 13 Gen (Fighting Joe) Wheeler took over the Cavalry of Middle Tenn., and under him was Col. Whorton’s Second Georgia Cavalry. Wheeler’s head­quarters was at Lavergne, TN., 10 miles south of Nashville.

10. Dec. 30, 1862, the battle of Stones River just north of Murfreesboro was about to be fought. Wheeler’s several regiments of cavalry were making raids encircling Gen Rosecrans’s advancing army. They reported in time to join the battle on Dec. 31. Wheeler’s men captured about 1,100 men and commandeered 320 wagons and numerous stores, including enough field pieces to arm a brigade, and enough horses to remount all who needed one.   Thomas Hampton was wounded in this battle and was sent to the hospital in Atlanta. It is not known how long he was inactive. Some of his muster-in rolls were undated.

11. The Second Georgia Cavalry continued under the command of Gen. Wheeler, whose commanding officer was Lt. Gen. William Hardee of Gen. Braqq‘s Confederate Army.

12. After the Battle of Chickamauga, Company C. of Second Georgia Cavalry, under Capt. I. M. Merritt, served as an escort to Gen. B. F. Cheatham, and were complimented by that officer for efficient services rendered.  Gen. J. E. Johnston succeeded Gen. Bragg, after the defeat at Chattanooga, on Nov. 23-25 and assumed command on Dec. 27, 1863

13. Because of Sherman’s advance on Meridian, MS., the divisions of Cheatham, Cleburn and Walker, under Gen. Hardee, were ordered, on Feb. 17, 1864 to assist Gen. Leonidas Polk, in Mississippi. However, they were soon recalled, when Sherman retreated to Vicksburg. Thomas Hampton was among this escort, as his muster roll for Jan. and Feb., 1864 show, (“Pvt. Thos. H. Brooks, Co. C., 2nd. Regiment, Georgia Cavalry, acting escort to Maj. Gen. Cheatham, stationed near Dalton, Ga.: Marked Present”)
14. Gen. Cheatham’ s division took part in the events preceding the Atlanta Campaign at Resaca, New Hope Church, “Hells Hole”, and the Battle of Kolb’s Farm, about June 23.  As reported by Sherman, “(Our lines are now in close contact, and the fighting is incessant, with a good deal of artillery ready.”
15. On the May and June muster rolls, it was reported that Thomas Hampton was sent to the hospital on June 23, 1864. Apparently, his wound was not real serious, as his son, Zaccheus Byron Brooks, the writer’s father, was 3½ years old, and remembered seeing his father ride up on his horse. Zaccheus said that his father’s arm was bandaged, and his family (mother and uncle), said that Thomas Hampton returned to duty before his leave was up, because of the urgent need for men in the coming days of the Atlanta Conflict. (This was under Hood’s command). My father remembered the messengers delivering the death message and how grief struck his mother was. She wrote down the date of death as July 21, 1864 and the place of as The Battle of Peachtree Creek. However, she must have written the date that the message was delivered, for the date of the battle was July 20, 1864. The Yankees lost about 1600 men, and the Confederates lost about 2,000.  One of Thomas Hampton’s brother-in-laws saw him fall off his horse and later found a wooden box to bury him in, there on the battle ground. His personal things were returned to his wife, Lucy Ellen. One of my brothers got his watch, and another got his Wade and Butcher razor.